Knitkabob® - Your local yarn shop  - A place for knitters, crocheters and artful souls     156 South Main Street   Union, Oregon

OUR BUILDING

If anyone has historical information about our building (156 S. Main Street), Del's Place or the Eagle Tavern, we would like to make copies. Photos, documents or oral history would be great.

United States Department of the Interior
National Park Service

National Register of Historic Places
Section 7 Page 20 8/86

DESCRIPTION: The Eagle Tavern is located mid-block on the west side of Main Street between Arch and Beakman Streets. It is a rectangular one story structure with a stepped parapet and an altered storefront. The original storefront system has been covered or replaced with T-111 siding and aluminum sliding windows. The existing recessed double entrances doors may be original. The building is built of brick laid in a Flemish bond, which has been painted on the east (front) facade. The west (rear) facade has been covered with terra cotta tile. While the original storefront system may remain beneath the T-111 siding, in its current condition this building lacks sufficient integrity to convey style or its period of construction.

SIGNIFICANCE: The Eagle Tavern was built in the early 1920s by Leo Hansen, who carried mail from Union south to Medical Springs some twenty miles, traveling on skis in the winter. Prior to that stood a clapboard store front. Ed Thomas installed his pool hall operation in the space and it was known as the Eagle Tavern until he moved that operation several doors northward to the south bay of the Knights of Pythias Hail ground floor. The building was sold at auction to G. I. and Clarice (Brasher) Hess in 1932, who sold it in 1944 to Delbert and Mae Irvin, who operated it as a tavern called "Del's Place." It continued as Del's Place under succeeding owners until its recent closure.

 

ABOUT THE WALK IN REFRIGERATOR AND BAR

When we bought this building there was a walk in refrigerator/freezer. It was taking up to much space and was inefficient. So we removed it. After we removed some of the outer shell we discovered that it was insulated with Balsam-wool. This is not a very insulating material. The bar was given to the Union Hotel. The doors and hardware were given to our neighbors across from this building. The stools were auctioned off.

InspecAPedia This article is from InspecAPedia.com

"Balsam Wool" is a wood fiber product or "cellulose" insulation that was widely used in homes and in a variety of other applications in the U.S. from at least the 1930's.
Our Balsam-Wool insulation photo (above left) includes a Weyerhaeuser Forest Products logo in the bottom of the red diamond.
We learn from the Minnesota Historical Society [5] as well as from reviewing patents describing the history of production of balsam wool fiber insulation [4] that the Wood Conversion Company of Cloquet, Minnesota, incorporated in 1922 in Delaware.
The Wood Conversion Company of Cloquet was a Weyerhaeuser By-Products Division, and was a key participant in the development & production of Balsam Wool Insulation. Wood Conversion was the assignee of a variety of patents describing the production of balsam wool and other wood fiber (and even animal hair) insulation products.

R-Values of Balsam Wool Insulation

We estimate that balsam wool has an R value of about 2 to 3.5 in loose fill and about 2 to 3.25 in batts.
We have seen some estimates of an R value of 3.4 per inch for versions of insulation that contain a mixture of wood fibers and chopped paper.

 

MORE . . . . . . . . .

 

Click on image to enlarge

xx Image WalkIn02 Balsam Wool